You’ve probably heard about the many amazing ways that taking a Coenzyme Q10 supplement can benefit your health, from increased energy and mental clarity to significantly improved heart health. In fact, the effects of CoQ10 are so well established that it has become one of the most popular supplements, and many doctors, even conservative ones, are starting to recommend it.
However, what many people don’t realize—even some doctors—is the important link between CoQ10 and many pharmaceutical drugs, especially cholesterol lowering statins that leave many older Americans feeling tired, sluggish and achy.
CoQ10 Is Fuel for Your Heart
Your heart beats about 100,000 times a day to get its job done and is fueled by CoQ10, which is why so many scientific studies have shown that it confers powerful support for your entire cardiovascular system. When your heart has the high levels of CoQ10 it needs, it works like a charm. You see, your mitochondria (the cells’ energy factories) need CoQ10 to generate ATP energy to keep your heart cells functioning and healthy.
But when levels get too low, your heart strains to do its job, and ultimately your entire body suffers.
Suboptimal heart function can play a role in a variety of health problems that plague us as we get older. That’s why taking the right CoQ10 can play a major role in making sure your body has the cellular energy you need to maintain a strong, healthy heart to live an active, healthy lifestyle as you age.
By Age 50, Your CoQ10 Levels May Be in Decline
According to leading experts on the cutting edge of natural health, it’s critical to supplement with CoQ10 as you age. After the age of 30, natural levels of CoQ10 begin to diminish. By the age of 50, this depletion of CoQ10 continues to accelerate and by age 70, your natural CoQ10 levels may be 50% lower than they were when you were a young adult!
We all know that as we age, our bodies do not perform as well in certain areas. But in many of these cases, there’s little we can do about it. That’s why I get so excited about CoQ10. It’s one tool that enables us to fight back against aging, and provide our bodies with a nourishing antioxidant that it is struggling to produce!
However, age isn’t the only factor that accelerates the loss of CoQ10. You may be shocked to learn that one of the worst culprits is pharmaceutical drugs, especially statins.
Statins and Other Drugs Can Quickly Deplete CoQ10 Levels
If you are taking a cholesterol-lowering statin drug such as Lipitor®, Zocor®, Crestor® or Pravachol, then you’re probably trying your best to stay on top of your cardiovascular health. However, I have important news to share with you today.
While statins aren’t for everyone (due to some well-established side effects), there is a hidden side effect that is not detailed on the warning label. And your doctors, in their rush to see the next patient, may have simply neglected to warn you, or even worse don’t even know about it in the first place.
It is widely known that statins severely deplete your body’s natural levels of CoQ10, which can be very dangerous. A Columbia University study found that within 30 days, your levels of CoQ10 can be decreased by half.
Statin drugs aren’t the only culprit. In fact, there is a long list of pharmaceutical drugs that rob your body of CoQ10. And since nearly 50% of American adults take at least one prescription drug daily, it’s more important than ever to supplement with CoQ10 so you can be sure your body has the necessary levels needed for proper cellular energy function and a strong cardiovascular system.
Why You Need the Right CoQ10?
I can tell you firsthand that once you start taking the right kind of CoQ10, you’ll know it without a shred of doubt.
You’ll experience a noticeable boost in your energy levels as you feed your mitochondria the fuel they crave. This increased energy production will, in turn, improve your heart health since an active, healthy heart has such high energy demands. And the benefits don’t stop there. CoQ10 may in fact support both optimal brain and skin health.
As I explained above, the older you get, the more likely you are to have reduced levels of CoQ10. This is why I recommend a high-quality CoQ10 supplement to help slow the signs of aging. But please don’t grab the first CoQ10 bottle you see on the shelf believing it will provide these incredible health benefits.
6 Benefits of CoQ10
- Improves Cardiovascular FunctionCoQ10 can support your heart as you age, keeping it pumping strong while supporting normal blood pressure and reducing LDL cholesterol oxidation.
- Boosts Energy and StaminaCoQ10 fuels the energy-producing mitochondria found in every cell in your body.
- Supports Cognitive FunctionCoQ10 keeps brain cells healthy, while supporting mental energy and clarity.
- Fights Free-Radical DamageCoQ10 is a powerful antioxidant that helps reduce oxidative stress to fight harmful free radicals.
- Supports Healthy Vision and HearingCoQ10 protects the delicate tissues of your eyes and ears from free radical damage.
- Improves Oral HealthResearch has shown that CoQ10 keep the cells of your mouth and gums healthy.
It’s been confirmed time and time again that CoQ10 is amazingly safe and well tolerated by the human body. There appears to be no toxicity whatsoever, even at very high levels, and it has virtually no side effects.
The Supplement Industry’s DIRTY Little Secret
You can find CoQ10 supplements virtually everywhere. And unfortunately, most people are tricked into thinking all CoQ10 is the same. But there’s a dirty little secret that they won’t tell you on the label. Most of the major studies supporting the benefits of CoQ10 have been conducted with natural CoQ10. But many supplements are made with synthetic CoQ10.
Worse yet, guess what synthetic CoQ10 is synthesized from? Believe it or not, tobacco leaves are the primary source! This synthetic junk is called the “cis” form, and there is absolutely no good data out there proving its effectiveness or safety. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to put anything in my body that’s used to make cigarettes.
You might be surprised, but 100% natural CoQ10, known as the “trans” form, is usually no more expensive than synthetic CoQ10—you just need to know how to look for it. It’s easy if you follow my simple “cheat sheet.”
How to “Read Between the Lines”
Discount brands, such as those found in drugstores or big-box retailers, take advantage of labeling requirement loopholes, and do a great job hiding the source of their CoQ10. Don’t fall victim to their cost-cutting.
Here’s my foolproof guide that will prevent you from being scammed:
- Look for the words “trans-form” on the label. Trans-form CoQ10 is identical to the CoQ10 produced naturally within the body, and if you read the studies on CoQ10 like I have, you’ll notice that most research is conducted using trans-form CoQ10.
- Also check to see if the CoQ10 is made using a natural fermentation process, which yields by far the most natural form. This is a patented process used by only the most reputable, higher quality producers of CoQ10.
- Seek out a supplement that contains piperine, an extract of black pepper. One problem with CoQ10 is that it’s not always well absorbed within the body. However, research shows that piperine significantly increases CoQ10 absorption by up to 30%!
- Finally, make sure it is manufactured in an FDA-inspected facility here in the U.S. Who needs CoQ10 bottled overseas in facilities of questionable integrity? It’s just not worth the risk.
CoQ10 May Be the Solution Your Doctor Overlooked
I’ve read hundreds of CoQ10 studies from around the world, and it’s been confirmed time and time again that CoQ10 is amazingly safe and well tolerated by the human body. There appears to be no toxicity whatsoever, even at very high levels, and it has virtually no side effects.[6,7] Also, it doesn’t make you jittery or upset your stomach, and it doesn’t conflict with any other medications or supplements.
What it does is nothing short of a health miracle:
- Energizes your heart and keeps it pumping strong
- Supports brain health and mental clarity
- Increases cellular energy and effectively combats fatigue
- Fights off harmful free radicals that accumulate in your body
- Supports optimal skin health
- Helps to keep your eyes healthy
- Promotes optimal gum and oral health